Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Not off to a great start.

So, I have been struggling with something for the last day or so, and to some it may seem like a small thing, but to me it feels like the weight of the world. Yesterday was Afton's first day back to preschool. She has been with me all summer in our Preschool Summer Camp program, and I wondered if the transition would be hard for her - turns out it was. Miss Candy (her teacher) sent a note home with Afton that said she needs to work on not screaming when she doesn't get her way, as well as hitting and throwing toys. Well - not exactly what every mom wants to hear on the very first day of school. I think it goes without saying that I cried. I want Afton to have friends, I want her to be a joy in the classroom. As a preschool teacher I can tell you that when parents tell us their child will be absent for a day or two, sometimes we do a little happy dance. I don't want Afton to be that child! I toyed with calling in Super Nanny (no, I'm not kidding - I downloaded the application yesterday). In all fairness to her teacher, Afton is a strong-willed child, she knows her own mind and she knows what she wants. These things will serve her well if channeled in the right direction. But she is also a happy little girl who is a social butterfly and just a joy to be around, except at school apparently. In her defense, Afton's life has been pretty crazy lately. Her home has been turned upside down because of all the packing; her daddy's been out of town on business a lot the past few weeks; we spent quite a bit of time at the Preschool Center this weekend trying to finish the renovations and she hasn't been to bed on time in probably 4 days. This does not make for a happy Afton. However, we have been working really hard at home for the last 24 hours explaining how big girls act (no hitting or screaming, we don't throw our toys - that kind of thing). We have been talking about it in the car, during dinner, when we say our prayers - I even came up with a "Big Girls Don't Hit" song and dance routine (American's Got Talent - look out!) Some might call it brainwashing...but hey, whatever works; right?! She is also going to bed 30 minutes early tonight to ensure that we don't have a cranky girl in the morning. Between that and my fervent prayers that I will have the inspiration I need to teach her the things she needs to know - including how to be a good friend, how to be a good listener, and how to express her feelings appropriately - I hope we will not have to resort to the Super Nanny. But I'm keeping the application on file, just in case.

1 comment:

Jill W said...

Oh, I'm sure things will get better as she gets used to going! I actually bought a couple of Super Nanny books myself when Lucy hit the terrible two's at 18 months. I've employed some of the techiques, and either they're working, or she's growing out of it. Afton reminds me of Lucy in a lot of ways - strong willed and not bending to pressure, even if it's from an adult. Keep posting blogs like this so I know what to prepare myself for!