Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Madness

As much as I love Thanksgiving...the friends, the family, the food, the good company, the beginning of the Christmas season, the food, did I mention the food?...this year was crazy! Somehow the decision was made to have Thanksgiving dinner at our house. Heather reminded me at some point that I actually begged for this opportunity, but I stand by my declaration that I must have been drugged; because nobody in their right mind would actually ask for this kind of madness! We had 17 people at our house for dinner that night. We had to borrow tables and chairs from the church and we still didn't have enough seats! There was more food than any of us knew what to do with...fried turkey, smoked ham, smoked venison, mac & cheese, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, broccoli & cheese, corn, cheesecake, pumpkin pie, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies...and all Afton would eat was Easy Mac!! Although it was crowded and hectic - I really did enjoy myself. We had good friends, some new friends, the missionaries, and family join us and it was a great night.

The day after Thanksgiving we went to Mike's Farm for dinner and a hayride. They have one of the best southern dinners of anyplace around, and it's all served family style. They just kept bringing out the platters of fried chicken, mac & cheese and mashed potatoes - more good food! And the hayride is always spectacular. They decorate acre upon acre of land with Christmas lights and have a soundtrack that goes with it...it makes you feel like the Christmas season is truly here...complete with fake snow! I didn't get many pictures because I was too busy watching the kids enjoy themselves...maybe next year!

And I certainly don't want to leave out how exciting it was to have Brian and Andi here with us. I miss my younger brother more than I can say when he's at school - and I enjoyed meeting Andi so much! To have them both here to share Thanksgiving with us was such a treat!

1 comment:

Amber Lee said...

Happy Birthday, SIL! Love you and miss you!