Sunday, January 18, 2009

Girl's Night Out

A couple of the women that I work with decided that we needed a Girl's Night Out. So we did something that was completely unexpected and went to a little cafe here called The Juggling Gypsy and watched a Belly Dancing Showcase. Now, before you start thinking "how wierd is that?"...let me tell you how much crazy fun it was!! We heard about it from a mother of one of our preschoolers who is currently taking belly dancing lessons. It was her first showcase and she invited us to come watch. The atmosphere was fun and relaxing, the music was great...they even danced to some live music. Most of them danced to very traditional music, and had the little bells and tassles on their skirts - it was very "gypsy-esque". At one point they talked a little about how belly dancing was believed to be a way for women to improve the strength of their core muscles and their back to prepare for childbirth and then, lo and behold, out comes this dancer who is at least 4 or 5 months pregnant & she was phenomenal! She's in better shape then I am now and I'm not pregnant! These women moved with such grace and confidence that I found myself wondering how much these lessons cost, and if they could teach me not to be so clumsy!! We took about 400 pictures, but none of them with my camera, so as soon as I have the other girls email them to me I'll post them. I am so glad that I accepted the invitation and did something a little different, we're already talking about going back for the showcase next month.

No comments: